Days 1 - 4
Tuesday 07 October 2008
Here is your meal plan for the first four days of your 'reboot'. It might be hard to adjust but stick with it and you'll see and feel the difference soon!
* Fall out of bed (having set the alarm for half an hour earlier) and exercise for half an hour
* Drink a large mug of hot water with a squeeze of lemon and grated ginger peel
* Have a large glass or small bottle of still mineral water then some breakfast as soon as possible
* Every day, choose one of the folllowing options for your meals; try to keep it varied!
* Porridge made with 2 tablespoons of porridge oats - not instant - and water. Have with rice or soya milk, a heaped tablespoon of fruit puree. Add a sprinkling of cinnamon powder and a dessertspoon of toasted flaked almonds to taste.
* Cold oats: Before you go to bed, put 2 tablespoons of porridge oats and a tablespoon mixed raw nuts and raisins in a bowl, cover with fresh fruit juice and leave overnight. In the morning top with a generous tablespoon of natural low fat yoghurt, berries or chopped fresh fruit (no bananas though)
* Scrambled eggs on toast – 2 slices rye or whole wheat toast with 2 organic, free-range eggs, scrambled
* Breakfast smoothie – put a small pot of natural low fat yoghurt, a couple of handfuls of fresh berries and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil in your liquidizer and blend until silky smooth. Add chilled water to thin to your preferred consistency
Mid Morning Snack
* Fresh apple or pear with a tablespoon of mixed seeds
* Small pot of natural low fat yoghurt with berries or chopped fruit
* 2 mini oatcakes or 1 Ryvita or 2 rice cakes spread with low salt, organic peanut butter or almond butter or topped with sliced tomato/cucumber
* Cup of Marigold Organic Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder (reduced salt) or Instant Miso Soup
Lunch & Dinner
* Vegetables or salad: fill at least half your plate with a mix of colours of raw, steamed, roasted or ‘steam-fried’ vegetables
* Go for lots of variety, ring the changes every day and chop, slice, shred, grate or cube. Be adventurous!
* Don’t include potatoes and if using root vegetables like carrots, parsnipsor swede have them raw, not cooked
* Dress both cold and hot vegetables with a tablespoon of flaxseed, olive or sunflower seed oil and a squeeze of lemon juice - if you prefer it creamy, add a dessertspoon of low fat natural cottage cheese
* Protein: fresh or frozen fish, skinless chicken breast, turkey escalope or smoked marinated tofu. Each portion should be approximately the size of a deck of cards
* 4 fresh prawns or scallops
* A 2-egg omelette or frittata
* 2 large tablespoons of cooked lentils, beans or chickpeas
To add flavour to any of the above, sprinkle with fresh, frozen or dried herbs and spices, a squirt of tomato puree or a few drops of tamari. Instead of salt, use Herbamare
Mid Afternoon Snack
* A small plate of mixed raw baby vegetables with a small pot of hummus
* Cold boiled egg with a couple of raw carrots or fresh tomatoes
* Half a tin of sardines in olive oil or tomato sauce mashed on one slice dark brown toast
* A small pot of cottage cheese, fresh pineapple chunks and a handful of fresh raw mixed nuts
Only if you are feeling very hungry ... no cheating! Make sure you have your snack at least 20 minutes before you go to bed.
* A couple of mini oatcakes with flaked tinned tuna, almond butter or half a banana
* A peach or nectarine with a few fresh walnuts
* A cup of warm soya milk with a teaspoon of organic honey and a sprinkling of cinnamon
Aim to have a large glass of still mineral water every 3 hours and any of the following during the rest of the day:
* Sparkling mineral water
* Fresh fruit and vegetable juices (mix 50:50 with still or sparkling water)
* Herb, fruit, green or black tea (no milk or sugar)
* Coffee substitutes (no milk or sugar)
Click here for the full shopping list of items you'll need for days 1-4