Celebrity fitness secrets
Wednesday 09 July 2008
Trainer: Jamie Baird
Kate's vital stats: Size 6/8, 5ft 8
Jamie says: “When I worked with Kate, we specifically targeted her waist. If you do my exercises regularly, you’ll start to see results within a fortnight.”
For Kate’s Beckinsale’s waist – The Rolldown Twist
Sit on the floor with your knees bent, holding a 2lb bag of sugar to your chest. Slowly, lower yourself backwards towards the floor until you feel your stomach muscles engage. The base of your spine should be just in contact with the floor. Then, turn your torso to the right, pause, turn back to the centre and then over to the left. Repeat 20 times and do at least two to three sets.
Exercise tip: Work your abdominals with every exercise you do. So if you’re doing press ups, squats, shoulder presses or running on a cross trainer, pull in your stomach throughout.
* If you love chocolate, sprinkle low calorie cocoa powder on plain yoghurt. You can enjoy the taste without the calories.
*Eat all your meals sitting at a table. If you eat on the sofa in front of the TV, you’ll be distracted and more likely to overeat.
* If you still feel hungry after a meal, drink some green tea. As well as being rich in anti-oxidants, it helps reduce hunger pains by relaxing the muscles of the stomach lining.
Trainer: Colin Allan
Gabby's vital stats: size 10, 5ft 8
Colin says: “I train with Gabby twice a week and helped her get back into shape after the birth of her twins. Within four months she had her body back. We’ll do lots of strengthening work, body weight exercises and core stability, which is great for the upper arms and shoulders. It’s the best way to avoid ‘bingo wings’.”
For Gabby Logan’s shoulders: The Threeway Press
Stand upright with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold a tin of beans in each hand in front of your chest. Squeezing your bum, push your hands horizontally away from your chest then bring them straight back. Then push them out to the front again, but slightly higher in the air. Return to start, then push them directly above your head. Repeat each move 10 times every day.
Exercise tip: Keep an exercise diary so you can monitor your progress. You’ll be able to look back and see an improvement in just a couple of weeks.
* Don’t miss breakfast. An army marches on its stomach. Poached eggs and porridge will stop you having mid-morning cravings.
* Eat regularly to keep your metabolism going and burn more calories.
* Check you’re drinking enough water by monitoring the colour of your urine. If it’s darker than a light yellow, you need to drink more water to flush toxins out of your body.
Trainer: Adam Lask
Tina's vital stats: Size 8, 5ft 5
Adam says: “I helped Tina lose over a stone in eight weeks. She achieved it easily and looked absolutely amazing. We’d work out three times a week with lots of weight training. It’s far easier to tone your body by doing weights than cardio exercises like running. Tina did lunges to shape and strengthen her legs.”
For Tina Hobley’s legs - lunges
Stand with legs together and hold a bottle of water in each hand, behind your head. Lunge your right leg forward, and raise your arms so the bottles are above your head. Return to start position, and repeat with other leg. Do 20 repetitions a day.
Exercise tip: With every exercise, the last two or three repetitions should be very difficult. If you don’t feel it pulling, it’s not really working.
* Instead of having three large meals a day, try to have five smaller meals. You’ll feel fuller and will be less likely to overeat or snack.
*Don’t skip a meal. Your body goes into starvation mode and thinks it’s not going to get food. That means it’ll store fat rather than burn it.
* Avoid eating complex carbs like potatoes, pasta and rice after 7pm as you won’t get a chance to burn them off that late in the day.
Trainer: Sarah Williams
Carol's vital stats: Size 10, 5ft 7
Sarah says: “Carol and I do three or four 2-hour sessions a week to get fast results. We do plenty of wide leg squats, which are great for her very famous bum! When we train, we start to see results within a fortnight.”
For Carol Vorderman’s bum: Wide leg squats
Stand with feet slightly wider apart than shoulder-width and put your hands behind your head. Making sure the back is kept very straight, squat down very deep so you really stretch the main muscle in your bottom. Do two sets of 15 each day, building up to three sets.
Exercise tip: Do a few exercises when you get up, in your lunch break and when you come home. You’ll see the difference within a couple of weeks.
*Soup is a great low calorie, low fat food. Buy non-creamy vegetable soup and keep it in the fridge – when you’re hungry eat that instead of grabbing a biscuit.
* Don’t overcook vegetables as you’ll destroy all the nutrients. Steam or roast them. When you roast vegetables they become much more filling.
* Water is a great appetite suppressant. Always keep a bottle of water in your bag, at the office, in your car or anywhere you spend a lot of time. Drink 2 litres each day.