Your embarrassing questions answered!
Tuesday 24 April 2012
It's not uncommon for women to be suffering in silence when it comes to embarrassing body issues. After all, who wants to be the first to bring their downstairs up into conversation across the dinner table?
But, what you probably don't know, is that your friends are probably in the exact same boat! Some intimate health issues can leave us feeling nervous or worried but we’re too self conscious to chat about it with others.
Balance Activ has launched a campaign to coincide with National BV Day - which was on the 18th April - to help provide women with all the advice and information they need to make the correct diagnosis and empower them to talk openly about embarrassing problems.
We've put some of the questions you ask us most often at the mag to Embarrassing Bodies doctor, Dawn Harper, and here is her two minute guide to your health and wellbeing!
· National BV Day aims to raise awareness of Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
· Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) is the most common vaginal infection
· 1 in 3 women will suffer from BV at some point in their lives
· 56% of women said they had no idea what the symptoms of BV are[i]
· 2 out of 3 women are misdiagnosing it as thrush due to lack of awareness around symptoms
· BV can be distinguished by an abnormal fishy odour, thrush is odourless
· If left untreated BV can have some serious health implications including increasing the risk of...
- Early labour and premature birth
- Contracting STIs including HIV
Check out www.balanceactiv.com for more info!