Scott Henshall's essential styling tips for '09
Thursday 19 March 2009
Celebrity stylist Scott Henshall has worked with the likes of Paris Hilton, Caprice and some super-hot models - so with his top tips for the spring/summer season 2009 you're sorted!
* Prints are a big trend for 2009 - think African patterns and bold graphics. Be brave and embrace the eighties revival by adding shoulder pads to fitted jackets. Or go girly with romantic frills - a blouse with frill detail can bring your work outfit up-to-date, or try a frilly skirt for summer!
* If you want to buy one essential item this season make it the boyfriend blazer. Wear it with rolled-up sleeves over a dress or unleash your inner rock chick with a vintage t-shirt and skinny jeans. Another good investment for your holiday wardrobe is a dress in bright block colours - pink is the shade of the season! It'll look gorgeous with a tan and take you from beach to bar just by changing from your flip flops into your heels!
* If you hit the shops, try to buy fewer pieces that you will treasure for a long time. Invest in some good quality classics - you can easily update them with accessories each season. Fashion goes through cycles, so it's always a good idea to look after unique pieces - they are bound to come back into fashion at some point!
* Feeling the credit crunch? Be creative - raid your boyfriend's wardrobe for over-sized shirts (super-sexy over a figure hugging dress) or suit jackets. Your mum is bound to have some cool accessories from the eighties or seventies, or maybe your gran has some vintage jewellery or retro-print fabrics you can, ahem, borrow?
* Be ethical - do your bit for the environment and your purse by swapping clothes with your friends. Global Cool has started the 'swishing party' trend, where you can exchange your unwanted garments for some super-cool clobber of your fellow swishers - Sienna Miller and Tara PT have all done a bit of swishing in the past! For more information on the 'swishing phenomenon' go to www.globalcool.org